Food Bank Volunteer
Sign Up To Volunteer in Our Food Bank
Please read the instructions and choose the appropriate sign-up page below. Registration is quick and easy.
For the safety of our staff and volunteers and to ensure you have a meaningful volunteer experience we limit the number of people on each shift. Closed-toe shoes and comfortable clothing are recommended. Face masks are not required but can be worn if you feel more comfortable. Please wash your hands upon entering the warehouse. Gloves are required when handling food items, we provide them for each volunteer and ask that they are changed out often. If you are ill or have been around someone who is ill we ask that you please reschedule your service for a different day.
Volunteer Shift Types
Advanced registration is required
Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays: 9:00am-11:00am
If you are interested in volunteering please contact Heather Elkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5177.
Occasionally we do offer weekend or evening opportunities, please sign up for our volunteer mailing list to be notified.
* Call to inquire about additional days and times
** Volunteer hours are subject to change according to warehouse needs
Organizing and running a funds drive (formally a food drive) in your local community is another great way to volunteer your time as a group while helping out those in need.
To schedule group volunteer days or set up a funds drive please contact Heather Elkins at email@example.com or 209-490-5177.
MOBILE FRESH VOLUNTEERS
Advanced registration is required.
For questions about volunteering with Mobile Fresh, please contact Heather Elkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5177.
Frequently Asked Questions from Volunteers
What will I be doing?
Warehouse volunteer activities include sorting produce and canned goods, repackaging food, and helping us maintain a clean and safe facility. Mobile Fresh volunteer activities include working the distribution lines, handing out nutrition education, and carrying bags to cars.
How often do I need to come?
What should I wear?
Do you need volunteers for special events?
How do you reward volunteers?
– We host a volunteer appreciation event in late fall where we recognize your awesomeness!
Do you need volunteer drivers?
– Yes we do! Our need is greatest during the holiday season. We are especially in need of drivers than can help out Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8am through 12pm. You must have a Class C license and a clean driving record, since we add you to our insurance and you drive our vehicles. If interested, please contact Juan at email@example.com or 209-239-2091.
Is there an age limit for volunteers?
– Yes, there is. Any minor under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. We are making an exception to our usual age limit of 16 and up. We understand that parents have limited options for recreational and educational activities with their children. We are therefore welcoming children ages 11 and up accompanied by their parent(s) or guardian(s). Volunteering with your child is a wonderful way to spend time with them while also helping out the community! Exceptions to our age limits can be made for large groups, but these events need to be set up in advance (see our section on Group Opportunities).
Where does volunteering take place?
Can I complete required community service hours or student projects at Second Harvest?
If you need to complete court-mandated volunteer hours, please contact Marcus Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5172.
If you are a student interested in completing a project at Second Harvest, we are happy to help as well. However, we require advanced notice and communication of details in order to help you successfully carry out your project. If interested, please contact Heather at email@example.com or 209-490-5177.
Are there any evening or weekend volunteer opportunities available?
– We have a monthly on-site food distribution on the final Saturday of every month. To register, please sign up through our registration pages using the provided buttons above or contact our Volunteer Coordinator. We occasionally have other after-hours volunteer opportunities such as emergency food drives that require extra help. If you’d like to be added to the mailing list to find out about these opportunities, please contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5177.