Food Bank Volunteer
Sign Up To Volunteer in Our Food Bank
Please read the instructions and choose the appropriate sign-up page below. Registration is quick and easy.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, we have had an increase of those in need by more than 60%. With this demand and the increase in safety guidelines, we have created specific programs and times for those that would like to donate their time*. The buttons below will allow you to register and sign-up for specific days and times in our warehouse and/or mobile fresh events. For larger groups use the Group Sign-Up.
To keep people safe, we are limiting the amount of people that can volunteer at one time. These are in blocks of 2 hours. So if you want to sign up for more than one day, go ahead and register all the days you would like to help out by using the button below. Your help is greatly appreciated. See you soon!
Volunteer Shift Types
Food Bank Volunteers are vital to Second Harvest of the Greater Valley, we depend on the time and efforts of our food bank volunteers to help us better serve our community.
Advanced registration is required
Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays: 9:00am-11:00am
If you are interested in volunteering please contact Kobe Salas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5177.
Occasionally we do offer weekend or evening opportunities, please sign up for our volunteer mailing list to be notified.
* Call to inquire about additional days and times
** Volunteer hours are subject to change according to warehouse needs
***HOURS MAY VARY DURING COVID-19
Organizing and running a funds drive (formally a food drive) in your local community is another great way to volunteer your time as a group while helping out those in need.
To schedule group volunteer days or set up a funds drive please contact Kobe Salas at email@example.com or 209-490-5177.
MOBILE FRESH VOLUNTEERS
Our mobile distribution program, Mobile Fresh, is in need of happy and hard-working volunteers to help make our pop-up events a success. Available locations, dates, and times are available on our registration page, which you can access by clicking on the button below!
Advanced registration is required.
For questions about volunteering with Mobile Fresh, please contact our Community Relations Specialist Kobe Salas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-490-5175.
Frequently Asked Questions from Volunteers
What will I be doing?
Warehouse volunteer activities include sorting produce and canned goods, repackaging food, and helping us maintain a clean and safe facility. Mobile Fresh volunteer activities include working the distribution lines, handing out nutrition education, and carrying bags to cars.
How often do I need to come?
What should I wear?
Do you need volunteers for special events?
How do you reward volunteers?
Do you need volunteer drivers?
– Yes we do! Our need is greatest during the holiday season. We are especially in need of drivers than can help out Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8am through 12pm. You must have a Class C license and a clean driving record, since we add you to our insurance and you drive our vehicles. If interested, please contact Juan at email@example.com or 209-239-2091.
Is there an age limit for volunteers?
– Yes, there is. Any minor under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. We are making an exception to our usual age limit of 16 and up. We understand that parents have limited options for recreational and educational activities with their children. We are therefore welcoming children ages 11 and up accompanied by their parent(s) or guardian(s). Volunteering with your child is a wonderful way to spend time with them while also helping out the community! Exceptions to our age limits can be made for large groups, but these events need to be set up in advance (see our section on Group Opportunities).
Where does volunteering take place?
If you are volunteering at our warehouse, the address is 704 E Industrial Park Drive, Manteca CA 95337. If you are volunteering at a Mobile Fresh event, please contact Helen Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 209-490-5175 prior to an event to receive location details.
How are you ensuring the health and safety of volunteers during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
As an essential business, Second Harvest Food Bank is to remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic. In these times of economic and social distress, our services are more crucial than ever. We are taking all the necessary measures to stay safe based on the guidelines set forth by the CDC. Volunteer guidelines during the pandemic include:
- If you are ill, or have been around anyone who is/has been ill, please reschedule for a different day.
- We will be taking the temperatures of incoming volunteers each day. If your temperature registers as 100.4⁰F or above, we will ask that you please return home.
- If the CDC considers you or someone in your household as high-risk, we do not recommend that you volunteer at this time.
- Handwashing is required upon entering our warehouse. Please wash your hands often with soap and warm water, especially in between glove changes and at the start/end of each shift.
- Gloves are required when handling food items. Gloves are provided to all volunteers and should be changed often.
- Masks are no longer required. Use of a mask is up to the discretion of individual volunteers. This policy is subject to change according to government regulations.
- For the health and safety of all our volunteers and staff members, maintain the 6-foot social distancing policy.
Can I complete required community service hours or student projects at Second Harvest?
If you need to complete court mandated volunteer hours, please contact Marcus Strickland at email@example.com or 209-490-5172.
If you are a student interested in completing a project at Second Harvest, we are happy to help as well. However, we require advanced notice and communication of details in order to help you successfully carry out your project. If interested, please contact Kobe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 209-239-2091.
Are there any evening or weekend volunteer opportunities available?
– We have a monthly on-site food distribution on the final Saturday of every month. To register, please sign up through our registration pages using the provided buttons above or contact our Volunteer Coordinator. We occasionally have other after-hours volunteer opportunities such as emergency food drives that require extra help. If you’d like to be added to the mailing list to find out about these opportunities, please contact Kobe at email@example.com or 209-490-5177.
Who can I contact with any additional questions, comments, or concerns?
– Our Volunteer Coordinator, Kobe Salas, is happy to help! You can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 209-490-5177.